Brooklyn's Kings County Memorial Day Parade
The 148th year, this is one of the oldest Memorial Day parades in the nation. It will kick off at 11:00 AM on May 25, 2015.
* Parade originally ran along Eastern Parkway for many years and also along Prospect Park West in Park Slope. The parade has been held in Bay Ridge for over 20 years.
* The Catholic War Veterans will lead all Brooklyn Veteran Service Organizations: the Kings County American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Jewish War Veterans, Korean War Veterans, Vietnam Veterans of America, Disabled American Veterans, Women Veterans, Gulf War Veterans, the Military Order of the Purple Heart, the Brooklyn “Key Chapter” American Ex-Prisoners of War, United War Council of New York, Inc., Iraq and Afghanistan War Veterans, and the Wounded Warriors.
* Sponsored by the United Military Veterans of Kings County, which is a registered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. All donations are tax deductible.
* The United Military Veterans of Kings County is the successor to the Grand Army of the Republic, the Spanish American War Veterans, and the United War Veterans. We are a constituency of all Brooklyn Veteran Organizations joined by active duty military, the National Guard, labor unions, civic organizations and patriotic youth organizations. Antique fire trucks and autos will also be featured in the parade, along with Boy and Girl Scouts, Sea Cadets, Explorers and many Brooklyn High School bands. The NYPD and the FDNY proudly march alongside Veterans form all ages.
* Parade kicks off at 11 AM on 87th Street and Third Ave. goes to Marine Ave. then up to Fourth Ave. and over to John Paul Jones Park, for a memorial service that includes a Wreath Laying, Flag Raising, Playing of Taps and a 21 gun-salute by Soldiers from the US Army Fort Hamilton Garrison. All participants must report to a Street Marshal no later than 10AM.
* The 2015 Grand Marshal is WWII Veteran Howard Dunn.
* The Deputy Grand Marshals are WWII Veteran Major William B. Harris, USAF Ret., Korean War Veteran & American Ex-POW James Faulkner and Korean War Veteran Donald Feldman.
* Reviewing Officer is Colonel Joseph D. Davidson, Commander, US Army Garrison Fort Hamilton.
* Chairman of the Memorial Day Parade Committee is Ray Aalbue. He can be reached at 718-833-8923 or 347-907-9547.
* General Membership meetings are held on the third Tuesday of the month at the Post Chapel at the US Army Garrison Fort Hamilton, in building 129. The meetings for 2015 will be held on April 21 at 11AM, and on May 19 at 7PM, which is the last meeting before the parade. All participants are encouraged to attend the meetings.
* Seeking all Veterans to march. Veterans do not have to be a member of a service organization to march. Call the parades Chief-of-Staff Anthony Giovinco at 917-664-8850 for more information.
* Like us on Facebook at United Military Veterans of Kings County.