The Brooklyn Memorial Day Parade
United Military Veterans of Kings County
May 27, 2013 kicks off at 11:00AM
"Lest We Forget"
All Veterans Are Invited To March
You Don't Have To Belong To An Organization to March
For more Information call Anthony Giovinco at 917-664-8850 or 718-748-4530
Kings County Memorial Day Parade Fact Sheet
The 146th year, this is one of the oldest Memorial Day parades in the nation. It will kick off at 11:00 AM on May 27, 2013. The theme for the 2013 parade is “Lest We Forget.”
* Parade originally ran along Eastern Parkway for many years and also along Prospect Park West in Park Slope. The parade has been held in Bay Ridge for the past 21 years.
* The Kings County American Legion will lead all Brooklyn Veteran Service Organizations that includes the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Catholic War Veterans, Jewish War Veterans, Korean War Veterans, Vietnam Veterans of America, Disabled American Veterans, Women Veterans, Gulf War and OEF/OIF Veterans, the Military Order of the Purple Heart, the Brooklyn “Key Chapter” American Ex-Prisoners of War, and Iraq and Afghanistan War Veterans.
* Sponsored by the United Military Veterans of Kings County and the Brooklyn Borough President. The United Military Veterans of Kings County is a registered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. All donations are tax deductible.
* The United Military Veterans of Kings County is the successor to the Grand Army of the Republic, the Spanish American War Veterans, and the United War Veterans.
* The United Military Veterans of Kings County is a constituency of all Brooklyn Veteran Organizations joined by the National Guard, Labor Unions, Civic Organizations and patriotic youth organizations. Antique fire trucks and autos will also be featured in the parade, along with Boy and Girl Scouts, Sea Cadets, Explorers and many Brooklyn High School bands. The Marching Knights of Lahser High School from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan are our special guests this year.
* Parade kicks off at 11 AM on 87th Street and Third Ave. goes to Marine Ave. then up to Fourth Ave. and over to John Paul Jones Park, for a memorial service that includes a Wreath Laying, Flag Raising, Playing of Taps and a 21 gun-salute by Soldiers from the US Army Fort Hamilton Garrison.
* The 2013 Grand Marshall is Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz and the Deputy Grand Grand Marshal is Marty Maher, Chief-of-Staff for Brooklyn Parks and Recreation. Mr. Maher is a Coast Guard Veteran.
* Reviewing Officer is Col. Eluyn Ginés, Commander US Army Garrison Fort Hamilton.
* Chairman of the Memorial Day Parade Committee is Ray Aalbue. He can be reached at 718-833-8923 or 347-907-9547.
* General Membership meetings are held on the third Tuesday of the month at the Post Chapel at the US Army Garrison Fort Hamilton, in building 129 at 11AM. The final meeting will be held on May 21. If you wish to march in the parade you should attend this meeting.
* Seeking all Veterans to march. Veterans do not have to be a member of a service organization to march. Call the parades Chief-of-Staff Anthony Giovinco at 917-664-8850 for more information.
* Visit us at www.brooklynmemorialdayparade.com and like us on Facebook at Brooklyn Memorial Day Parade.